0.1 ASHA CEUs are available for the August 13th webinar
The Eden II Programs Diagnostic and Outreach Center is offering a free webinar Monday, August 13th! All of our webinars are delivered by a live presenter who is a topic area expert with years of experience working with individuals on the spectrum. The live format allows for frequent opportunities to interact with the presenter.
Registration for this webinar is FREE.
Please note you must be registered and attend the webinar to obtain ASHA CEUs.
These webinars were made possible through a generous grant provided by the New York City Department of Mental Health & Hygiene.
The Relationship Between Language Acquisition and the Development of Theory of Mind: Clinical Implications for Children with ASD
Jan Downey, MA, CCC-SLP, TSHH
Director of Speech Services
Eden II’s Genesis Programs
There is strong empirical evidence to connect language acquisition and the development of Theory of Mind (ToM). Both language and ToM development quickly evolve from infancy through five years of age, and have an effect on one another. Significant language and communication deficits, maladaptive behaviors and lack of ToM development present with challenging clinical implications for individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). While few studies have been conducted, and even fewer randomized control trials, there is research to support some intervention strategies to assist in the development of ToM in individuals with ASD. This presentation will discuss false-beliefs, and the interrelationship between language acquisition and Theory of Mind development; intervention strategies for instruction will be presented and discussed.
- Participants will define Theory of Mind and false-beliefs.
- Participants will describe the three classes of theories connecting language acquisition and Theory of Mind development.
- Participants will describe the developmental steps of Theory of Mind and their interrelationship with language development.
- Participants will describe the clinical implications for the development of Theory of Mind for individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders based on the speech-language-communication deficits and behavioral challenges presented by this population.
- Participants will describe intervention strategies to assist individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders in the development of Theory of Mind
Parents, SLPs, Special Educators, Behavior Analysts, etc
This event is being offered for 0.1 ASHA CEUs (Introductory level, Professional area)
Ms. Jan Downey is employed by Eden II Programs where she receives a salary.
For additional information:
Ms.Downey is the mother of two children with autism.